Copyright © True Gnostic Church. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
First Reference: Beginnings 24:39
Therefore, seeing that you shall call from among all the children of men, the man Abram, and seeing that you shall cause to be established with him and his seed after him the covenant, I shall cause to go down to the earth the Arch-Angel Raphael.
See: Arch-Angel, Archon, Dispensation (Law of), Elohim, Moses
Summary: The Arch-Angel Raphael is described in scripture as one of the seven ‘mighty ones’ of the Council of Elohim who led many of the valiant into battle (W:2:36-38). Each of these seven Archons were foreordained to establish dispensations upon this world, the world of the First Power. According to scripture, Raphael incarnated as Moses (born c. 1,600 — 1,400 BCE), and initiated the third dispensation of God (B:24:38-44; 1:3:33-38).
39. Therefore, seeing that you shall call from among all the children of men, the man Abram, and seeing that you shall cause to be established with him and his seed after him the covenant, I shall cause to go down to the earth the Arch-Angel Raphael.
40. For surely his seed shall multiply greatly upon the land. Therefore, I shall send unto them Raphael, that he might deliver them in the day of trouble and affliction.
41. And he shall establish among the children of Abram the law whereby the way might be prepared for your going forth among them on the day appointed.
42. For by the hand of Raphael shall the law be established, and by the appearing of the Promised One shall the law be fulfilled.
43. Thus, in the day when the covenant people shall become as a mighty nation among the children of men, in that day they shall walk after the pride of their heart, to forget the covenant which you shall cause to be established with their fathers; then shall you call forth from among them many prophets, whether male or female, that they might warn the people against iniquity.
44. And if they will not give heed to the words of the prophets to turn again unto me, then shall I send forth to them the Arch-Angel Uriel.
33. Thus when the Arch-Angel Gabriel descended as Noah unto the earth, even I did go before him as Methuselah whereby I might nurture him and call him forth unto God; that having set his feet upon straight paths, he might not fall prey to the evil of his day.
34. And when the years of his dispensation were concluded, there went unto the earth the Arch-Angel Raphael who, as Moses, would establish a covenant people, a nation of priests upon the land; but the people were proud and stiff-necked and were quick to forget the promises of God.
35. Which very thing caused Moses to despair continually; and being filled with weariness he would come forth unto me for counsel concerning those things which he should do; for in his day did I walk as Jethro upon the land, and in the beginning of his ministry did I teach him straightly the things of God.
36. Yet, for all our efforts did the children of Israel prove unworthy of those higher laws which flow as the sweetest of waters from the heart of God, and in the end did Moses give unto them a lesser law filled with commandments and constraints.
37. Trusting that by so doing he might hide therein the birthseed of still some distant generation.
38. And Moses, being weary of evil, would not so much as enter the promised land but ascended unto God upon the mountain, being filled continually with a heavy heart.
1st Endowment 3:33-38
And on the day of battle stood forth seven mighty ones, captains of the heavenly hosts: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Ariel, Azrael, and Suriel, and with all their might did they leap into battle, and behind them were many valiant ones.