Copyright © True Gnostic Church. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
Pronunciation: dzhayms + ben + AL-fee-uhs
First Reference: Yeshua 3:22
And there were of John’s disciples who followed after Yeshua, Andrew Bar Jonas, the brother of Simon; John Bar Zebedee, the brother of James; Philip of Bethsaida, the son of Jabesh the fisherman; and James Ben Alpheus, the brother of Levi.
See: Alpheus, Levi Ben Alpheus
Summary: James and his brother Levi were sons of Alpheus, and cousins of Yeshua. James was numbered among the followers of John the Baptizer who later became disciples of Yeshua (Y:3:22).
48. And James the son of Alpheus spoke unto him, saying: “My Lord, I will forsake all things to follow after you, for I know that you are the very Anointed One of God, even the hope of Israel.”
49. And Yeshua answered him, saying: “The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air their nest, but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head. How then shall you follow me seeing that I have taken nothing to myself?”
50. And James answered him, saying: “My Lord, if I might but follow after you, I shall possess all things.”
51. And hearing this, Yeshua smiled and placing his hand upon him, spoke, saying:
52. “Come then, and tarry not. For whosoever shall follow after me shall be made witness to all things. And whosoever shall stand apart from me, shall increase to themselves a multitude of burdens.
53. For I shall reveal unto you what no eye has seen and what no ear has heard, nor any hand touched, neither entered into the heart of any man from the beginning of the world.”