Summary: The Abyss is mentioned often in scripture, yet its nature remains quite
bizarre. The Abyss can perhaps be thought of as a place and/or time that pre-exists
both space and time. Described as the birthplace of unformed (massless) matter, the
Abyss is a sea of endless chaos. No order or structure can naturally evolve within
the Abyss. It is a cold, sterile void, an endless depth of chaos and darkness from
which fundamental aspects of matter and anti-matter spring forth, interact, and repel
one another. The term Abyss is sometimes used synonymously with the Deep. The Abyss
is the dwelling place of the primordial masculine force known as the Eidos. It is
also where the Antipode and the Ahgendai received their schooling.
The Abyss is:
• the dwelling place of the Eidos 1:5:19, 39 1:6:2-3 5:6:33
• the birthplace of unformed matter (massless matter) E:1:2-7, 11
• the edgeless womb of unformed matter 1:6:1
• where, “out of crushing depths of darkest matter”, matter and anti-matteris pressed
into elemental forms 5:8:58
• where the Antipode was cast to mature under the schooling of the Eidos 1:5:19,
39 1:6:3 5:4:9
• was the schooling environment for the Antipode and Ahgendai 5:4:24, 28 5:7:30-41
• the birthplace of Yaldabaoth, the Chief Demiurgos E:1:11 E:1:34 1:6:13
For the gateway of the Abyss lies nearest to Olaha Shinehah...
5th Endowment 4:34
For I beheld the great Abyss from whose depths the matter of all created things are
made to spring up, having neither shape nor form.
And that which was of the Abyss, being ever dark and brooding, took thought in itself,
saying: “Surely I will draw from my own depths one to rule the darkness.”
Thus did there leap forth out of the Depth, Yaldabaoth who would stand forever above
all the Demiurge, being called the Chief Demiurgos.
And knowing not the power which brought him forth, he beheld, as though alone, the
great Depth and the Abyss, and seeing the unformed matter springing up out of the
Deep, he boasted within himself, saying:
“Behold, how great and mighty I am become, for what power can stay my hand seeing
that I am the destroyer and shatterer of worlds?”
So spoke Yaldabaoth as he beheld the great darkness of the Abyss, and gazing into
the eternal Depth of things unknown, he beheld the shadow of his own likeness; and
taking thought within, he caused to leap from out of his bosom an image like unto
For by the power of The One was I made to see the great Abyss from whose blackened
womb there is made to spew in endless streams, the very matter from which all things
visible are made.
And there dwelt in the Abyss the very Eidos which stirred and moved about; being
of itself both blind and thoughtless, creator and destroyer, being also cold and
harsh, indifferent and callous, both unthinking and unpredictable, even the mindless
purposer of all things which move throughout the immensity of space.
And that which was of the Abyss, even the very Eidos of creation, being ever dark
and brooding, felt moving within its regions that very Antipode which The One had
sent forth into it.
1st Endowment 6:1-3
What then can be said of so terrible a place as the Abyss did prove to be? For the
depths of its edgeless womb did possess but utter blackness, causing that the light
of the Ahgendai should seem as pale and thin within the vastness of the Deep.
Yet still did the light of the Ahgendai reveal most feebly, the twisted birth of
all matter unformed, for out of the crushing depths of darkest matter was there pressed
into most elemental forms both matter and anti-matter; each repelling the other,
to hold in constant abeyance.
5th Endowment 8:57-58
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
• What are the differences (if any) between the Abyss and the Deep?
• Is the Deep in a specific place, or is it more a specific state of existence?
• Does the Abyss mark a significant edge between the Spiritual/Ineffable and the
• What is the relationship between dark matter, the Abyss, and the Eidos? How is
it relevant to the Demiurge?
• Demiurgic weaponry is constructed from “darkest matter” (6:8:16)...
• Is the “dark matter” of our present understanding the same stuff referred to in
the Song of God as “darkest matter”?